| CERTIFIED FINANCIAL BEHAVIOR SPECIALIST® (FBS®)
The Certified Financial Behavior Specialist® (FBS®) designation is a professional certification mark for financial professionals providing financial consulting services conferred by the Financial Psychology Institute®. To receive authorization to use the marks, the candidate must meet specific educational and continuing education requirements in the areas of behavioral finance and financial behavior.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from a Regionally Accredited Institute of higher learning and/or a License, Registration, or Certification in financial planning, counseling, coaching, mental health, or a related field.
- Completion of a Certificate in Financial Psychology & Behavioral Finance or related field.
- Agreement to a “fiduciary oath” (as defined below) in interactions with clients and to follow the ethics code of either the CFP Board and/or American Psychological Association, depending on profession.
- 20 Hours of CEUs in approved courses related to financial planning, financial behavior, or a related field every 2 years, either through the Financial Psychology Institute® or other approved providers.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with financial psychology or financial therapy, and who are also familiar with your work.
Certificate holders include practicing financial planners, financial coaches, financial counselors, and mental health practitioners who use the theories and tools of financial behavior to provide more holistic services to clients, better understand financial beliefs and behaviors, and work more effectively with individuals, couples, families, and organizations around money.
By using the marks, the FBS® Certificant promises to always act in the best interests of their clients. Specifically, they agree to:
- Act in good faith, by having honest intent to act without taking unfair advantage of their clients and to fulfill any and all promises made; and
- Proactively disclose any and all conflicts of interest that may impact the client.
Trademark Usage Guidelines for FBS® Certificate Holders
FBS® Certificants in good standing with the Financial Psychology Institute® (FPI) have the right to use the following marks:
- Certified Financial Behavior Specialist®
These marks are commonly referred to as the “FPI Marks” and show that the Certificant has met the initial and ongoing requirements of the designation and have agreed to act as a fiduciary (as defined above) in all interactions with their clients.
To assist in the use of these marks, FPI has developed the trademark usage guide below. This guide apples to use in both print and electronic communications. These examples are not an exhaustive list. Please contact the FPI with any questions and/or if you become aware of improper usage or infringement of the FPI Marks.
- Always use the ® symbol
- The certification mark may not be altered or modified in any way.
- The FBS® mark must appear in all capital letters.
- When using the term Certified Financial Behavior Specialist®, at a minimum, the first letter of each word must be capitalized.
- The certification mark should be placed near the certificate holder’s name.
- The certification mark should have clear enough space so as not to be related to the certificate holder’s degree, nor be confused with the company to give the reader the idea that the mark certifies the entire company.
- The marks may not be used in a certificate holder’s email address or domain name.
The FPI conducts annual reviews of all Certificants. This includes, but is not limited to, a review of FINRA, SEC, and/or State Licensing Boards websites to make sure the Certificant is in good standing. If they are not (e.g. they have lost their license to practice), their FPI Certification will be subject to revocation.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.